Saturday, April 4, 2015

Los Huevos



Sometimes it's best to live as though you don't have any money. Money hides so many fantastic things. We took ourselves down to the port to buy tickets to take the ferry next weekend to Colonia del Sacremento in Uruguay. Sure, we could have bought them online, but that would cost us an extra US$50. So, being the frugal, experiential travelers we so want to be, we took the subway, wandered around trying to find the bus stop, asked a shopkeeper (in Spanish no less!) how to find it, and then found it.

As we exited the bus I couldn't help but notice the very large, colorful graffiti on a building across the street. So when the man at the ticket counter asked us to wait 15 minutes until the boarding for the current ferry was closed, I decided to wander over for some photographs.

I was so engrossed in the graffiti I was surprised when I passed by the man cooking his meal on the street. In the picture you can just recognize him at the end of that gremlin-like creature. As I walked on down the street I could see some yellow tents set up and realized that I was on the outside of a wall on the edge of a park.

I walked up to the tents and discovered a local, weekend market. Very local. I couldn't get over those eggs (los huevos)! There was also a stand with chicken, another selling beef, another selling beans and grains, another with fresh produce, and others. Neighbors were queued up to make purchases and most had their shopping carts in tow. Children and dogs ran around.

When I returned to Rich at the ticket office there were still some stragglers who were checking-in for the ferry and had to run to catch it! Even as we purchased our tickets a man arrived hoping to board the ferry, but he was turned away.

Our journey home was tiring. It was hot and we were thirsty. Wouldn't you think there would be at least one cafe? No. Two bars, the first we have sighted, but no cafe. We finally hopped on a bus to the old town, San Telmo. Thirst quenched we discovered tourist souvenir heaven on Calle Lavalle!

Then we were hot, tired and hungry. Hmmm. We found the subway and the temperature was an easy 90 degrees! I guess we could have taken a taxi. Instead, I think I'll take a nap now...

No comments: