Saturday, April 19, 2014

Of Pigeons, Parrots and Parks

I was out for a walk in our neighborhood in Barcelona when I heard the trademark screeching. And who should I discover competing with the pigeons for some freshly strewn bread? Green parrots! Well, technically they are Monk Parakeets.
This one snatched himself quite a treat. He and a few other parrots sat in the branches chipping away at their meals. We have green parrots in Florida too. My Grandpa was visiting us and we were driving in the car when he spotted a flock of them roosting on the telephone wires. Since then I spot them frequently. They make a loud, horrible screech that sounds like a flock of witches having a fight!
I found myself out at Park Guell (pronounced "gway") on a lovely noon. This is the park designed by Barcelona's famous architect, Antoni Gaudi. It is a large park with steep stairways through all kinds of wonderful plantings. It would have been peaceful except that it was crawling with people. It took a while before I could take the picture without someone in it!

The park was an entity - it had an economy and culture of its own. Buskers played guitar or violin or some other instrument and there were a couple of people dressed as statues. And there were people selling all kinds of trinkets - sunglasses, fans, magnets, scarves - you name it! They were always alert and restless. At a moment's notice they would roll-up their wares and dart off, just before a policeman or police car would go by. Park maintenance happened amid the mayhem. Caves were carved into the stone to accommodate snack bars that fed the masses on the terrace.

I sat and soaked up the park while enjoying the musical ramblings of a guitar player. Breathed deeply to catch all the different scents in the air. Watched people taking photographs, arguing with each other, laughing, kids running and crying. And when I was finished being entertained I got up and put a euro into the guitar case.
And, of course, there were the parrots! I couldn't figure out what people were looking up at. And then I heard and saw them. The green parrots had built extensive nests into the palm trees. They would pop out of the holes and screech at us tourists. Maybe we were too noisy?

No comments: