Saturday, August 13, 2011

Welcome to the Battleship

As we drove up the East coast we stopped in on the USS North Carolina Battleship. Instead of mannikins they had these odd white, wooden representations. Kinda cool, I thought. A bit cartoon-like really.

Of course they also had scads of torpedoes. It was pretty amazing to tour the depths of this warring labryinth. I had thirty seconds of - yikes! what would it be like to be buried in the bowels of this ship when it was being attacked? And then I decided that was not a thought I wished to dwell upon.

The interior design wasn't the most inspiring, but it did have its charms, especially if utility is your thing. Battleships aren't typically my first choice for a casual tour, but that's what sharing life with a spouse is all about - compromises that stretch your experiences and deepen awareness of the world through personal connection. And that's good stuff.

No comments: