Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Do beach bars create beach bums?

There's something about the Florida sun, the beach and the tourist attractions that cultivate an atmosphere of vacationism behavior. You know what I'm talking about. When you say to yourself, "I'm on vacation so why not order dessert?" or "We're on an adventure, let's let loose and act wild?" Just check out this fun-lovin' sign from an outdoor bar across the street from from the beach. But I'm suggesting that this vacationism behavior doesn't affect natives, who are far and few between, just transplants. Like me.

Except that I've gotten it backwards. For those of you that know me this will come as no surprise. But for those who might not - surprise! I moved down here in 2008 and was, at best, conservative. Not too many drinks at the bar, bouncing my head to the music. Calm. Quick trips to the beach to avoid sun overexposure. Cool. Now? Occasionally on a Friday night I have - gasp! - gotten up to dance on the dance floor. FINALLY I've realized how close I live to the beach and have actually gone and - OMG - gotten sand in my hair doing yoga and then jumped into the water. I have a beach umbrella ... with a sand anchor so I can hang on the beach.

Yes, Florida is infectious. Some people get a little...okay...a lot...out of hand. I can't see myself getting out of hand, but it sure feels good to enjoy the joys of the warm Florida sun, the beautiful beaches, the hot-tub-like summer pools and, yes, those ridiculous bars with outrageous tourist entertainment!

No comments: