Friday, June 3, 2011

Voracious Vacationing

I have had so much fun on vacation this week that I'm going to need another vacation just to recover!! My grandson's daycare was on vacation this week so I took vacation from work to watch him full-time while his parents were working.

He is a little busy body! He has discovered every door and drawer in my condo. We went to the beach on Tuesday where he screeched at the waves and ate a mouthful of sand. On Wednesday we got rained out so we went to the library for some book reading and frivolity with like-minded friends.
My friend, Debbie T., introduced us to the dolphins at The Clearwater Aquarium on Thursday. Mason had a great time standing up against one of the aquariums where big fish, stingrays and sharks passed right next to him.

Each day our activities were punctuated by food and naps. I've discovered the attachments to my blender and made the most delicious yogurt - yes yogurt - blended with LOTS of blueberries and peaches. Yum! And who knew that peas and mashed potatoes all whipped up together could taste so good? Mason of course.

Today, Friday, we walked a mile or so in the hot, hot sun to the playground with a stop along the way at the Suncoast Bird Sanctuary. Mason got a bit testy when I took him out of the swing, but his disposition ensured a swiftly returning smile.

He had a chance to test out his new shoes at the playground too. The Florida sun makes most walking surfaces unbearable without shoes. He's not walking on his own yet, but helping him still beats carrying him!

I'm pretty sure I must be the luckiest grandmother ever to get to spend so much time with my grandson. Watching every tiny stage in his growth has been wickedly fun and it doesn't pass my notice that I missed so much of my own child's growth.

Being a parent means working and worrying. There's so much responsibility for ensuring *everything* is just right for the growing baby. That means less time watching in wonderment. Grandparents don't have that going on. I get to observe, participate and sleep soundly at night.

All those good things people say about being a grandparent? Completely true!

No comments: