Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Pretty in Pink

Yesterday my restless feet took me walking to the end of the boardwalk near my condo. As I was enjoying the breeze a Roseate Spoonbill flew into the mangroves that the boardwalk winds its way through. As I walked back towards home I spotted the spoonbill fishing in a pool of water, which I had noticed on my way in because the little fish were acting a bit frantic. The low tide hadn't left them much water to swim in.

Now most wading birds I've seen in Florida have pointed bills and with a swift motion the bird snatches fish from the water. The spoonbill was swishing her bill in the water as she walked. It was like a beautiful head dance. She wasn't too happy to have me watching her and flew up into the mangrove trees where I shamelessly took photos.

And now as I am typing this I look out my window over the mangroves and see a little girl racing along the boardwalk followed by a lovely pink bird flying over the treetops. My second spotting of a Roseate Spoonbill in the wild, all dressed up and pretty in pink!


No comments: