Sunday, May 23, 2010

Muddy Manatees

Innocently out biking in some neighborhoods this morning I stop under a tree for a drink and what do I spy? Manatees! Four of them swimming around, rolling over each other and snorting in some very shallow, very muddy water at the end of a waterway. I stayed for quite a while watching. The most I saw of them at any one time was either what you see above or the snout and sometimes a whole head. Oh and their tails would swoop out of the water every now and again too. 

I also helped convince a momma duck that she and her babies really did not want to cross the busy road but would rather swim in the ravine. And on my way home as I was climbing the bridge I had to stop pedalling to gawk at the schools of large fish frolicking in the shallows. How so much wildlife manages to coexist with so many people amazes me!

No comments: