Sunday, March 28, 2010

Weedon Island Preserve

This morning I visited Weedon Island Preserve under threatening clouds and mild temperatures. I figured if I went early I'd miss the rain, which I did. I moseyed around the trails and if I hadn't seen it move out of the corner of my eye I would've just thought that hermit crab was a bleached out shell, albeit a larger shell than I usually find intact. I crouched patiently until she creeped about again. As long as the only thing moving was my arms she put on quite a show. This park is mostly an amazing mangrove forest with sprawling boardwalk trails and some paved and sandy trails.
They practice prescribed burns here and I couldn't help but think these charred palm tree remnants resembled snail-like creatures or maybe even a kind of sea anenome. The "antennae" are the charred palm leaf stalks.
Just as I was wondering if I wanted to keep walking or turn around and try to find a bathroom, I spied this nine-band armadillo. I couldn't believe it! Who knew there were armadillos in Florida? Apparently plenty of people whose perfectly manicured lawns have been burrowed through know all about them. After reading a bit about them afterward, it's clear from his behavior he was digging for food on the gray day.

The big deal at the park was supposed to be the bird watching, and I did see a tri-colored heron for the first time and a juvenile white ibis, but no other birds. I guess I'll have to go back!

No comments: